Lady Raiders Close Out 2018 with 51-Point Bang
Texas Tech defeats Abilene Christian, 105-54
LUBBOCK, Texas – A 63-point first half and 11 three-pointers led Lady Raider Basketball to its ninth win of the season with a 105-54 victory over Abilene Christian Saturday.
Texas Tech improved to 9-2 to close out non-conference play, the best start to a season since the 2015-16 season. The 51-point victory is the largest margin of victory for the Lady Raiders since Dec. 18, 2016, when Tech defeated Alcorn State by 53 points (90-37).
The Lady Raiders opened the game on a 22-0 run, sparked by Chrislyn Carr and Sydney Goodson three pointers. Tech continued to hit shot after shot, ending the quarter with 30 points. Junior guard Eryka Sidney had eight of the 11 assists in the quarter.
Tech followed up with back-to-back 30-point quarters to post a hold a 63-27 lead at the half, the most points scored in a half in school history.
The Lady Raiders didn’t let up the rest of the game and ended with 11 three-pointers, shooting a season best 52.4 percent from the perimeter and 58.7 percent from the field.
· Moves the Lady Raiders to 9-2 this season. This is the first time since the 2015-16 season that the Lady Raiders have started a season 9-2.
· With the 51-point win today, the Lady Raiders have won seven of their nine victories by double-digit point margin.
· Largest margin of victory since Dec. 18, 2016 when the Lady Raiders defeated Alcorn State by 53 points (90-37).
· The Lady Raiders shot a season best 58.7 percent from the field, marking the best average in a single game since Dec. 7, 2016 when the Lady Raiders shot 58.5 percent against Houston.
· The 52.4 percent shooting from the perimeter is the best average for the Lady Raiders since Feb. 10, 2018 when the Lady Raiders shot 60 percent against West Virginia.
· Junior guard Eryka Sidney posted a career high 15 assists in the win. She is the first Lady Raider in 20 years to have 15+ assists in a single game. Melinda Schmucker recorded 17 assists against Grambling State on March, 13, 1998, setting the school record.
The Lady Raiders kick off the 2019 Big 12 season at Oklahoma on Wednesday, Jan. 2. Tipoff is set for 6:30pm on FS Oklahoma. Tech returns to United Supermarkets Arena to host Baylor for the Big 12 home opener on Sunday, Jan. 6 at noon.