Lady Raiders drop heartbreaker to OU
NORMAN, Okla. – Lady Raider Basketball dropped a heartbreaker to Oklahoma, 66-61, in the Big 12 season opener Wednesday evening.
OU snaps Tech's four-game win streak and pushed the Lady Raiders to 9-3 on the season, 0-1 in Big 12 play.
Texas Tech opened with a 12-2 run sparked by back-to-back three-pointers by Chrislyn Carr and Brittany Brewer. Oklahoma tried to cut into the Lady Raiders' lead, but Tech held onto a nine-point lead heading into the half.
The Lady Raiders led for 33 minutes of the game before OU charged back in the final period.
OU took over the lead on a 10-0 run late in the quarter. The Lady Raiders tried to close the gap, but it wasn't enough.
Freshman Chrislyn Carr led the team with 19 points, four assists and a steal. Brittany Brewer followed with 13 points and nine rebounds, just shy of another double double. The junior also tied a career high with six blocks.
Senior Zuri Sanders had another great rebounding game tonight as she picked up 16 boards, five points, and two steals against the Sooners.
- Lady Raiders drop to 9-3 this season, 0-1 in Big 12 play.
- Texas Tech held the lead for 33 minutes of the game.
- The Lady Raiders had 38 points in the paint and 10 off the fast break layups.
- Texas Tech recorded 55 rebounds for the second best rebounding game of the season. Tech also outrebounded the Sooners by +8.0 rebounds.
- It was the Lady Raiders' sixth 50-rebound game this season.
- Chrislyn Carr scored 19 points for her eighth straight double-digit game.
- Brittany Brewer was a rebound shy of another double double as she scored 13 points, nine rebounds and tied a career high six blocks against the Sooners.
The Lady Raiders return to United Supermarkets Arena on Sunday to host Baylor. Tipoff is set for noon on FOX Sports Network.