Lady Raiders Suffer Last Second Heartbreaker
LUBBOCK, Texas – Lady Raider Basketball dropped a last second heartbreaker to No. 20 Iowa State, 64-62, on Tuesday night.
With the loss, the Lady Raiders fall to 12-15 on the season, 3-13 in Big 12 play.
The Cyclones opened with a 14-11 first quarter, but the Lady Raiders fought hard through the second quarter to take over the lead.
With four minutes left until halftime, Angel Hayden knocked down two free throws to give the Lady Raiders the 22-21 lead. Then, Zuri Sanders and Kiara Shoals hit back-to-back layups to extend the lead to five just before Hayden ended the quarter with two more made free throws.
The Lady Raiders held Iowa State to just seven points in the second, the lowest amount scored in a quarter by the Cyclones this season.
The Cyclones tried to cut into Tech’s lead, but seven straight points at the end of the quarter from Brittany Brewer and Chrislyn Carr pushed the Lady Raiders ahead by 10 with just 10 minutes to go.
Senior Bridget Carleton led the Cyclones with 12 points in the final period as Iowa State inched their way back into the game. A late layup by Carleton gave the Cyclones the 64-62 lead with just three seconds on the clock.
Carr put up a three-point shot that just rimmed out of the basket at the last second to end in a heartbreaker for the Lady Raiders.
Texas Tech: Brittany Brewer led the team with 19 points and 16 rebounds for her 13th double double of the season. Chrislyn Carr followed with 16 points of her own while Zuri Sanders recorded 12 rebounds.
Iowa State: The Cyclones had two players in double figures, led by Bridget Carleton who scored 27 points and totaled 11 rebounds. Kristin Scott tallied 10 points and seven rebounds.
· The Lady Raiders move to 12-15 on the season, 3-13 in Big 12 play.
· This was the 36th meeting between Texas Tech and Iowa State. The Lady Raiders trail 14-22 in the all-time series.
· The Lady Raiders held Iowa State to just seven points in the second quarter, the lowest amount scored in a quarter by the Cyclones this season. The previous low was when they scored nine in the first and second quarters against South Dakota (11/28).
· The Lady Raiders outrebounds the Cyclones, 46-39, a +7.0 rebounding margin. Texas Tech is 12-8 when outrebounding its opponent.
· Junior forward Brittany Brewer scored 19 points and tallied 16 rebounds for her 13th double double of the season and 16th of her career. Brewer marked her 22nd double digit point game of the season and 41st of her career. She also marked her 15th double digit rebound game of the season and 20th of her career. Her 16 rebounds tonight tied a career high. Brewer also had four blocks against the Cyclones, bringing her season total to 61 and her career total to 152. Brewer was 5-for-5 from the field and 2-for-2 from beyond the arc during the second half.
· Freshman point guard Chrislyn Carr scored 16 points for her 24th double digit point game of the season.
· Senior forward Zuri Sanders recorded 12 rebounds and eight points, marking her 15th double digit rebound game of the season and 20th of her career.
· Junior Kiara Shoals recorded a career high six points as she went 3-for-4 from the field.
The Lady Raiders travel to Manhattan, Kan., on Saturday, March 2, to face Kansas State in the final road game of the season. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. on ESPN3.