LADY RAIDER RECAP: Texas Tech 99, Sam Houston State 57
LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team picked up its first win of the season on Thursday, turning in a strong second half to oust Sam Houston State, 99-57, in the team's season opener.
How It Happened
Brittany Brewer played an outstanding game in the first outing of her senior season, finishing with 17 points, 14 rebounds and eight blocks. Brewer also reached 1,000 career points, becoming the 33rd player in program history to reach that benchmark. Two more blocks would have given Brewer the program's first triple-double since 1997.
Tech was led in scoring by newcomers Jo'Nah Johnson and Alexis Tucker, who each posted 23 points apiece. Tucker was outstanding in her Lady Raider debut, adding 13 points for her first career double-double. Johnson also added six assists.
The Bearkats were a tough out in the first half, as Tech only led by two going to the locker room; however, the Lady Raiders came out of the half on fire, outscoring Sam Houston, 29-6 in the third quarter to take a 71-46 lead. Tech was led with eight points in the quarter from Tucker and Maka Jackson.
Tech kept its foot on the gas in the final frame, winning the quarter, 28-11, to finish off the convincing win.
- Freshman Alexis Tucker made her mark in her first career game, finishing with 23 points and 13 rebounds on the night. It was her first career double-double. Tucker turned in 15 points (on five-of-five shooting) and six boards in the first half.
- The Lady Raiders forced five steals in the first half of the game, led by Sydney Goodson with three. Goodson finished with 4 steals on the night.
- The Lady Raiders finished the first half on an 11-2 run over the final three-and-a-half minutes to lead the Bearkats 42-40 heading into the locker room.
- Following the break, Tech went on an 18-4 run to open the second half and seize control of the game.
- Senior Brittany Brewer reached her first double-double of the season in the third quarter. It marks her 18th of her career.
- Brewer finished with 17 points, 18 rebounds and eight blocks. She was just two blocks shy of the program's first triple-double since 1997. Her eight blocks were a career high.
- The Lady Raiders outscored Sam Houston State, 29-6, in the third quarter to take a 71-46 lead. Tech outscored SHSU, 57-17 in the entire second half.
- Brewer also became the 33rd player in program history to reach 1,000 points for her career.
- Five Lady Raiders finished in double figures, with Tucker and Jo'Nah Johnson recording 23 in their first career game at Tech.
The Lady Raiders will host Florida A&M on Monday night at 6 p.m.