LADY RAIDER RECAP: Texas Tech, 84, Ole Miss 48
LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team earned the program's first Big 12/SEC Challenge win on Wednesday night, handling Ole Miss, 84-48, at United Supermarkets Arena. With the win, Texas Tech moved to 6-0 for the first time in eight seasons.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Four Lady Raiders reached double figures on the night, led by senior Brittany Brewer who had another outstanding game, pouring in 22 points to go along with 13 rebounds and five blocks. It marked her fifth double-double in six games this year and fourth game this season of 15-plus points, 10-plus rebounds and five-plus blocks.
Freshman Alexis Tucker also notched a double-double, scoring 17 points and shattering her career high with 15 rebounds. It marked her second double-double of the season.
Sophomore Chrislyn Carr tied her season high in scoring with 17 points, also adding seven rebounds and five assists. Carr was one of four players with three or more assists, led by Sydney Goodson with six. Goodson also tallied 14 points and six rebounds.
Texas Tech never trailed the Rebels, opening the game on a 14-2 run and never looking back. The Lady Raiders would go on to outscore Ole Miss in every quarter, and led by as many as 38. The largest Ole Miss scoring run was a 4-0 spurt in the first quarter.
The Lady Raiders forced 19 Ole Miss turnovers and scored 25 points off those turns. Texas Tech also only turned the ball over a season low 11 times.
For the second time this season, Texas Tech pulled down 50 rebounds, outrebounding the Rebels by 18—well above the team's 12.2 rebound margin heading into the game, which ranks 14th in the country. The Lady Raiders also scored 17 second chance points off 18 offensive rebounds.
Head coach Marlene Stollings…
"This was a big win for our program, this was a turning point game for us. Not only did we beat the SEC, but we're still undefeated. One of the very few teams in the nation that are still undefeated. As we rebuild this program, it's moments in games like this that become very powerful in our movement and our movement to March, quite frankly. I was most impressed with our defense tonight, we mixed up alot of different things and did an incredible job defensively. I was impressed with that piece. We took care of the ball and obviously we generated a lot of offense off of our defense. Just incredibly proud of this group."
- For the fifth-straight game, Texas Tech started Chrislyn Carr, Jo'Nah Johnson, Sydney Goodson, Alexis Tucker and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 5-0 this season with this starting lineup.
- The Lady Raiders opened the game on a 14-2 run. They would go on to lead, 25-13, at the end of the first quarter. It was their second-largest first quarter lead this season.
- Tech forced eight Rebel turnovers in the first quarter, including steals from Carr, Johnson and Goodson. Tech ended the night with 19 forced turnovers, including 25 points off those turns.
- Tech scored 13 points on 12 Ole Miss turnovers in the first half, a big reason for their 46-23 lead at the break, along with the fact that Tech only turned the ball over three times in the first and didn't allow any scores off those turns.
- Brittany Brewer finished with her fifth double-double of the season with 22 points and 13 rebounds to go along with five blocks. It was her fourth game this season with 15+ points, 10+ rebounds and 5+ blocks.
- Freshman Alexis Tucker recorded her second career double-double with 17 points and 15 rebounds.
- Four Lady Raiders ended the night in double figures, and eight of nine players to see the floor scored.
- The Lady Raiders also finished with a season low 11 turnovers, and only allowed five points off those turnovers.
Due to finals week, the Lady Raiders will get some time off before their Dec. 15 home meeting with Houston Baptist.