LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team took care of business on Monday, defeating Southern, 79-60, at United Supermarkets Arena to head into the holiday break with on a two-game win streak.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lady Raiders (5-2, 1-1 Big 12) led wire to wire in the win, using a 13-0 run in the first half to create a double-digit lead the team wouldn't relinquish.
Tech was led by a pair of 20-point scorers in Lexi Gordon and Vivian Gray. Gordon posted her first double-double of the season in a 25-point, 10-rebound outing that also included two assists and two steals. Gray had 22 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals in the win.
Seven of nine Lady Raiders to see the floor on Monday afternoon scored points for Tech to help push the Scarlet and Black to victory. Khyla Wade-Warren tied her career high with 10 points. In her first start as a Lady Raider, Najé Murray had eight points, five rebounds and a pair of assists. Bryn Gerlich had seven assists—just one off her career high.
Tech held a 23-12 lead after one quarter, as Gordon led the way with seven points and four rebounds in the opening frame, while Murray dropped in five. The Lady Raiders hit six of eight field goal attempts in the opening quarter while draining nine free throws and holding Southern to a 25.0 percent mark from the floor to take command early.
Gray and Gordon combined for 14 points in the second quarter to build the Texas Tech lead to 23 by halftime, doubling up the Jaguars, 46-23.
Southern was able to go on a few mini runs in the second half to briefly cut into the Tech advantage, but the Lady Raiders were too much to handle for the Lady Jags as Texas Tech finished off the home victory.
- For the first time this season, the Lady Raiders starting five included Bryn Gerlich, Lexi Gordon, Naje Murray, Vivian Gray and Alexis Tucker. That lineup is now 1-0 this season when starting a game for Tech. It marked the fourth starting lineup in seven games this season for the Lady Raiders.
- Lady Raider freshman Khadija "Hadi" Faye played the first minutes of her collegiate career on Monday. Faye finished with six points, four rebounds, an assist and a block in 12 minutes.
- Texas Tech's 56.8 percent mark from the field was its best of the season to date. The Lady Raiders also shot 58.3 percent from behind the three-point line, which was also a season high.
- Texas Tech used a 13-0 scoring run in the first quarter to create separation from the Jaguars. The run was the team's second-longest unanswered scoring run this season (second only to the 14-0 run in the third quarter against Rice).
- The Lady Raiders led throughout the game. Tech began with a Vivian Gray free throw on the opening possession and never surrendered the lead. It marked the third wire-to-wire victory of the season for Texas Tech (UTRGV, Angelo State).
- Texas Tech's 22 turnovers marked the most for the team this season. It marked the first game this year with more than 15 turnovers for the Lady Raiders.
- Lady Raider seniors Vivian Gray and Lexi Gordon each finished with 20-plus points in the win. It marks the first time since the game at Oklahoma last season that two Texas Tech players each had 20 or more points.
- Gordon's 25 points were a season high, and paired with her season high 10 rebounds, Gordon notched her first double-double of the season and the fourth of her career.
- Gray finished with 22 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals. It was the third 20-point game of the season for the senior.
- Khyla Wade-Warren tied her career high with 10 points, to go along with three rebounds.
Texas Tech will enjoy a brief break for the holidays before returning to United Supermarkets Arena on Dec. 29 to host Incarnate Word.